Knowing your skin type is important in choosing the right foundation for you. It is even more important to determine if you have sensitive skin, because this is one of the hardest skin types to look after. With so many brands and information out there, you may get confused while shopping for a foundation that works for you. So what is the best foundation for sensitive skin? Lets find out by learning a little bit more about your sensitive skin type and products that are currently on the market.
What Is Sensitive Skin and What Are Its Signs?
Sensitive skin is often thin and delicate with small pores. It gets irritated by medications or harsh soaps, shows a drastic change due to the changing weather, and reacts to stress.
When shaved, sensitive skin usually turns blotchy, gets rashes, or feels itchy. It’s safer to find a hair removal product designed for sensitive skin.
Since sensitive skin is often dry, it can easily get irritated when you use harsh soaps or those with fragrance. It would be best to buy fragrance-free and gentle soaps, bubble bath, or shower gel instead.
Sensitive skin does not react well to aftershave or perfume, as well, because of their chemicals that often cause rashes, blotches, or a burning sensation. Spray your perfume on your clothing instead.
Harsh weather isn’t kind to sensitive skin either. Cold weather can cause skin irritation and dryness, while hot weather can cause redness, heat rash, and/or tightness.
The most common body parts with sensitive skin are the face, legs, and arms.
What Is The Best Foundation For Sensitive Skin?
This little bottle of magic has been really popular lately. It comes in a 1.69 ounce bottle but if used correctly, it could last you for 3 weeks. It contains Botanical ingredients, such as mugwort and pumpkin which provides nourishment for your skin. For people with sensitive skin, the cream protects against redness and irritations. It’s a multifunction product which allows you to use it as a foundation or makeup base. It is good for concealing different type of discoloration including acne, age spots and sun spots. It has an SPF of 42 which is great for protection against the scorching sun.
Generally, you wouldn’t need to use a concealer with this product. Apply one full pump in the morning and then set it with powder and you will be good to go. This cream lasts longer when you pair it with some primer. The light perfume smell feels luxurious and the coverage does not feel “cakey”. It also doesn’t leave any streaks at all. Concerned about the fragrance? Many people have reported that the product is safe for sensitive skin.
Still not convinced? Check out this review and application instructions video from xteeener on this product:
This product has reviewed rave reviews and many satisfied customers! We definitely recommend this product!
This powder foundation is very light and does the job without you feeling like you have a mask on your face. The fine powders are very suitable for sensitive skin with ingredients that are clinically tested for skin irritations and allergies.
As it is a powder, the product doesn’t contain any oils. It doesn’t block pores and gives your skin a natural or matte finish. Some ingredients that make this product awesome are:
Boron Nitride – Helps to keep makeup on longer. It is great for absorbing oil and provides a smooth feel to your skin.
Dimethicone – When applied to the skin, it provides a silky feel. It acts as a water repellent and forms a protective barrier on the skin. it helps to fill in wrinkles and provides a plump look.
Fragrance Free – Very important for reducing chances of irritations on sensitive skin.
The packaging features a sifter that can be easily twisted open for use when you need it. When you are done, simply close the sifter and lock it in place. This designs ensures that the powder stayings inside the container and nothing falls out! On average, the product can last 2 to 3 months on regular use.
Maybelline is truly making a big name for themselves by coming out with one great product after another. This liquid mousse foundation provides your skin with a flawless look by minimzing your pores while creating a smooth finish. At a price point of less than $10 dollars, this product gives you a quick foundation fix without breaking the bank. The product has an air whipped liquid formula which allows it to feel as light as air (like a Mousse) and the blending ability of a liquid. Other functions that we like about his product are:
Fragrance Free – A must to for anyone with sensitive skin.
Won’t Clog pores – Allows your skin to breathe all day.
Dermatologist and allergy tested – Key features that we make sure products have that manufactures provide for all of their foundation products.
Oil Free – Great feature for those who have really oily skin or dry patches.
The product contains a very small amount of Butylene Glycol which is an organic alcohol used as a conditioning agent and does not irritate the skin. As a matter of fact, the Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR) Board has conducted research on this substance and concluded that it is safe to use in cosmetics if manufacturers follow regulations.
We recommend the Maybelline New York Dream Liquid Mousse Foundation because it is a great multi-purpose product that works well on sensitive skin. With a low price tag, this bottle is a good “bang for the buck”. The product has received tons of positive reviews which reflect on the quality and usefulness of this product. If you are looking for an easy and cheap foundation that looks after your sensitive skin, this product is worth a try!
Another great foundation that often go unnoticed is this mineral foundation from L’Oreal. The product comes in a 0.35 ounce container but don’t let the size fool you. This foundation can last quite a long time on regular use and it is 100% preservative free. Other functions include an SPF of 19 which is perfect for activities under the sun. The product has been tested to be safe with sensitive skin and is fragrance free.
We also like the brush that comes with it. The soft and short bristles allows you to tap. swirl and apply without excess powder. The powder does not transfer or slide off, even in hot areas! the product is not chalky and feels light! For a product that is under 20 dollars and with tons of positive customer reviews, this is another great recommended product that you should take a look at.
We wanted to talk about this foundation from Bella Terra because others are hailing this product to work really well on sensitive skin. People who have used this product are saying that it leaves your skin glowing. The product contains mica which is a popular makeup in most face foundations. It is also recommended by dermatologists and cosmetologists for people who have acne prone skin.
The Right Foundation For Your Face
Selecting the right foundation can be tricky because sensitive skin is harder to maintain. You can’t even apply sunscreen if you don’t want an outbreak or use makeup that may irritate it. Even foundation products intended for sensitive skin may still cause negative reactions. However, there are a few pointers that you can use to treat even the worst skin issues, such as the following:
- Don’t use foundations with harsh chemicals. Chemicals such as retinols, benzoyl peroxide, and PABA are only a few of those that you need to avoid. You need to make it a habit to carefully look at the ingredients used in your products. The safer products to use are those that are made of organic or natural products. The simpler the ingredients, the better it usually is for your skin.
- Be picky when it comes to choosing your foundation. Products that are designed to stay on your skin for a long time may be harder to remove. An extremely sensitive skin does not need a facial scrub every day. The harsher the skin care product is, the less frequent it should be used on your face.
- Be extra attentive to your skin. Observe it carefully. This is the most important step in taking care of sensitive facial skin because it will determine which products are good for your skin and which aren’t. The moment you notice redness, itchiness, swelling, or any other issues, stop your current facial regimen right away. Treat your skin, but don’t overdo it either.
Having sensitive skin shouldn’t mean suffering from it for life. Instead, pay more attention to your skin and use skin care products sparingly.
Things to Look for in Foundation Products That Are Good for Sensitive Skin
You need to put extra care in choosing skin care products for your sensitive skin. Aside from reading labels, the following things might help:
- Avoid products with synthetic perfumes or dyes, which are not good for sensitive skin. Instead, choose natural products that do not contain parabens or fragrance. But read the labels carefully instead of believing those products that are claiming to be “organic” or “natural.” The fewer the ingredients are, the better.
- Use foundations with moisturizers to prevent premature wrinkles from surfacing. However, it should be suitable for your sensitive skin. Find one that is fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, and dermatologist recommended. Ask your dermatologist for advice.
- If you use a toner or astringent, find one that does not contain alcohol. Apply it to oily areas, but stop using it once you see redness on your skin. A natural toner would be a safer choice.
- Find a product that is water-based, oil-free, and non-comedogenic. These are usually more expensive than other types of cosmetic products, but they are kinder to your skin, making them great investments.
The American Academy of Dermatology also recommends several cosmetic products that are good for sensitive skin. Face powder is safer to use because it contains fewer preservatives and usually doesn’t cause skin irritation.
Silicone-based foundation also poses a lower risk of irritating the skin. The AAD also recommends refraining from the use of waterproof foundations, because they are harder to remove and need a special cleanser to get them off your skin.
Familiarize yourself with the chemicals that are sensitive skin irritants. Don’t use skin care products that contain alcohol, deodorant or antibacterial ingredients, and alpha-hydroxy acids or retinoids, among others. You should also avoid products with vitamin C, lactic acid, glycolic acid, and azaleic acid.
Typical Conditions Associated with Sensitive Skin
We have made a few recommendations for finding the best foundation for sensitive skin. To highlight the importance of this mission, check out the types of conditions that may arise if you don’t take care of your skin properly:
People with sensitive skin usually suffer from the following conditions:
- Acne. It is a swelling on the skin caused by sebum, skin cells, and hair clumped together to form a plug that is infected by bacteria.
- Contact dermatitis. It is a skin inflammation caused by substances that cause an allergic reaction or irritation.
- Psoriasis. It is characterized by itchy, red, and scaly patches on the skin.
- Eczema. It is a medical condition, wherein patches of skin become inflamed and rough, with blisters bleeding and itching.
- Rosacea. It is a skin condition, wherein some facial blood vessels enlarge, creating a flushed appearance of the nose and cheeks.
These are the basic things that you need to know to maintain sensitive skin. Don’t let this condition rule your life by knowing exactly what you need to do and what you have to avoid.